Sunday, December 4, 2011

The Raggy Quilt

The first project I am going to post a how-to for is a raggy quilt.  I am currently working on one and taking pictures to post as I go.  I used charm squares for mine because I have an area that is roughly the size of a T.V. tray to work on in my (tiny!) house.  No batting is needed if you are using flannel fabric, but if you are not, I suggest Warm & Natural.  To start small, a good sized baby blanket will be 10 x 12 squares.

10 X 12 = 120 squares.

BUT  you have to double that number because this is a quilt-as-you-go and you need a front and a back.
So you need 240 of the 5'' squares.

I was able to get 15 squares out of a fat quarter.

240 divided by 15 = 16.  So you need 16 fat quarters or 8 half-yards depending on how much variety you want in your quilt.  If you sew already you may have a stash you can raid.

Now, if you are *not* using flannel you will need to cut 1 - 4'' square of batting for each quilt square. So 120 of the 4'' squares.  I can get 90 squares out of a yard of batting, so I would need not quite 1 1/2 yards of batting.

Each square will finish at 4'' because we use a 1/2'' seam allowance.

I also used a walking foot on my machine.  It helped immensely.  If you don't  have one, or don't want to use it, you may need to use more pins than I did.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your comments on my bloghop. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my word! My first comment and I just now saw it! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete